Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Beatnuts - "Props Over Here"

There's a good reason the Beatnuts are best known for their production work on other people's records: even on their own albums, the tracks far outshine the vocals. Not that they're slouches as MCs, but they're nothing special. The beats, on the other hand?


As far as killer bass lines go, the 'Nuts first EP and first two full-lengths are an absolute gold mine. This cut's off the self-titled one (also known as Street Level). I have no idea whence they lifted it. No sample credited, natch.


Bought this one new at Beat Street as well. I think I have all the Beatnuts LPs from the 90s, and I'm pretty sure I got them all new at Beat Street. You are missed.


Buy it... on vinyl.


From my deck to you: The Beatnuts - "Props Over Here"

No comments: