Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Guided By Voices - "Long Distance Man"

Having heard and enjoyed GBV's first and third albums, when I finally obtained the Box I was surprised to find that their second full-length is absolutely awful. Sandbox is not only the worst record in the Box, it's the Voices' worst album of the pre-Cobra Verde years by a pretty clear shot. I didn't listen to it again before selecting a track for this post, I just picked the one good song I could remember.


And what a terrific song it is. The vocal harmonies, the heartbreaking melody: as John Madden might say, this is what classic GBV is all about. But believe me, this is the only song you need to hear from this album.


There's a sentimental element at work here as well. This song has always made me think of my dad, whose hobby is running marathons. Nothing beyond the title, of course; I have no idea what the rest of the lyrics are about. But that's enough for me. Happy father's day, pop.


Buy it... on vinyl.


From my deck to you: Guided By Voices - "Long Distance Man"

No comments: