Monday, June 14, 2010

Stuff I Listened To Last Week – 14 June 2010

Every time I listen to a record, I leave it next to the stereo. On Monday, before I go back to work, I re-file them all. Below are the contents of this week's pile.


Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star


DJ ShadowEndtroducing...
Yeah, it's a little long and there's some filler, but the strong stuff holds up really well. Impressive for a genre that tends to date poorly.


Animal CollectiveMerriweather Post Pavilion
The wife like "Summertime Clothes". She says it's the first track she's heard by them that sounds like more than just a bunch of hype. She doesn't even let herself get sentimental about "My Girls", an angle I've tried to push more than once. Shameless, I know.


The BeatlesLet It Be


The Bee GeesIdea
Title track opens with the sickest piano riff, I can't believe it hasn't been sampled yet. Has it? Anyone?


Daryl Hall and John OatesBigger Than Both Of Us
Philly massive. It's the one with "Rich Girl" on it.


JesuHeart Ache


MogwaiCome On Die Young


Van MorrisonSt. Dominic's Preview


PixiesDoolittle
M— and D— gave us this wretched CD of Pixies songs played as lullabyes. Ugh. The wife loves it. I'll stick with the originals, thanks. Hopefully the girls will follow suit. I can't imagine ever liking children's music. So pandering.


Psychic IllsMirror Eye
Not as good as Dins. I just got it, maybe a few more listens.


SaviorsInto Abbadon
This album rocks. Super stripped down no-frills riffage, old-school heaviness start to finish. Saw these guys open for High On Fire a couple years back. No idea if they're still around.


Sonic YouthBad Moon Rising
Picked this one up for around $12 in Tokyo last year. Possibly the highlight of the trip. That or the beer girls with kegs strapped to their backs at the baseball game.


SpiritualizedLadies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Just got tickets for this show at Radio City this summer, taking the wife, got Mom lined up to babysit. What more could you ask?


Trans AmSurrender To the Night

No comments: