Thursday, September 2, 2010

Every time I listen to a record, I leave it next to the stereo. On Monday, before I go back to work, I re-file them all. Below are the contents of this week's pile.


Black Sabbath Vol. 4
B— asked me the other night to name my favourite Sabbath record. We both agreed it comes down to this one or Masters Of Reality. I give the edge to this one based solely on "Supernaut": best riff evah!

This led to an argument over whether "Changes" rules or is wussy bullshit. I say Ozzy's never written a bad ballad, so you can guess where I stand on this one. I even like "Dreamer".


Cat PowerYou Are Free
Probably my least favourite CP record, although C— insists that it's her best, I'm an idiot, blahblahblah. That latter sentiment he expresses a lot.

I played this one hoping it would be a good "go to bed, girls" album, but it's not particularly gentle. I guess since it's my least favourite I hadn't listened to it much. Or is it the other way around?


CornershopWoman's Gotta Have It
The opening/closing track on this one holds up really well. I remember seeing them open for Superchunk and playing like a fifteen minute version. The crowd was nonplussed, to say the least.


Del the Funky HomosapienBoth Sides Of the Brain
I was listening to this the other day and heard a guitar sample that I couldn't place and was killing me. It took me over an hour to figure out it's the Velvet Underground. Awesome. And that one's not listed on WhoSampled yet. Must rectify that.


Missy Misdemeanor ElliottDa Real World


Gang Gang DanceGod's Money
This one's supposed to be their masterpiece, but I think I prefer Saint Dymphna. I've only played this one a few times, but it has yet to leave much of an impression.


KMDMr. Hood
Know who was in this band? MF Doom. Seriously, he's Zev Love X. Little trivia for you there.


Krallice
The closing track is maybe my favourite black metal song ever. Is that bullshit if it's American second wave stuff? Does it need to be old school Norwegian to be the best?


LCD SoundsystemThis Is Happening
I've always liked Murphy's stuff no matter how cooler than thou he gets. I don't know anyone who likes his music that's not an over-30 New Yorker, but I am, so I like it. It speaks to me and maybe just me. I also think that, since that demographic must include well over half the country's pop music critics, that's why his media coverage far outweighs his sales.

Anyway, sadly, while I liked his first two records, I've listened to this one a few times and I'm still waiting for it to grow on me. I have a feeling it might just stink.


Main SourceBreaking Atoms


OneidaRated O
Too long? I have a feeling an Oneida album can never be. This one's s'posed to be part two of a trilogy. I hope the finale's a quintuple.


Shinichi OsawaThe One


Procol HarumShine On Brightly


The Rolling Stones, Now!


Souls Of Mischief93 'Til Infinity
Finally got reissued. I've been waiting for this one forever. And it holds up really well. Not a weak track on there.


Spacemen 3Playing With Fire


WavvesWavvves


Wrath Of the WeakAlogon
This is one of those records I bought without having any idea who the band is, just because I was ordering something else from their label (Profound Lore, but it looks like they're already out of it, chumps). I still have no idea who they are but this album is awesome. Think a cross between black metal and straight up noise. Like Horrid Cross but not as lo-fi. It's almost too monochromatic to really be brutal, it more trance-like. No copyright date, by the way, so I don't even know if it came out this year, but if it did then it'smy favourite album of the year so far.


X-EcutionersBuilt from Scratch


YeasayerODDBLOOD
Bitterly disappointing. Sounds completely different from the first one, which is admirable in it's own way, but not a good album. And I really liked that first one, anti-Brooklyn backlash be damned. I think they really should have replaced the drummer instead of going with the programmed beats when the old one left.

Oh, also, that video with Kristen Bell sucks.

No comments: