Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stuff I Listened To Last Week – 15 Jan 2011

Every time I listen to a record, I leave it next to the stereo. On Monday, before I go back to work, I re-file them all. Below are the contents of this week's pile.

AcetoneYork Blvd.


Elvis Costello and the AttractionsGet Happy!
My fave Elvis record after the big three? This one or Blood & Chocolate. Kind of a toss-up.


Creedence Clearwater RevivalBayou Country
Such a tasty opening riff. Just four notes, but with just the right touch of discordance. Wish I could come up with something so simple and so perfect.


The DecemberistsThe Hazards Of Love
It's growing on me. A little late for that now, I suppose; they've got a new one coming out soon. I may or may not buy it.


Explosions In the SkyAll Of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
Wow, so did these guys just flat run out of ideas or what? The formula was clearly wearing thin on this one, and it hasn't aged well, in case you were wondering. I guess we'll always have The Earth Is Not...

By the way, I was going to note how long it's been since they released any new material, but I looked over everything and can't find a copyright year anywhere on the packaging.


GirlsAlbum
They've got a new one out and I haven't heard it yet. I'll probably get it. This one holds up great so far, and I've heard good reviews for the EP.


Led ZeppelinPhysical Grafitti
Weird record. You'd think that if any act from their generation had what it took to sustain a killer double album it'd be these guys, but this thing is a mess. The first record is awesome, and even includes one of their few extended blues jams that I actually like ("In My Time Of Dying"). The second record is a mess; every track sounds underdeveloped and half-baked. Really, considering the roll they were on at the the time this should have been a pantheon double, we're talking Exile-level greatness, and they blew it in such a strange way.


Charles MingusMingus At the Bohemia


MogwaiYoung Team
Hadn't listened to this one in a while. Awesome. Interesting to note how many songs I recognise from seeing them every few years when they tour the States, but forgot which record they were on. They're all here. I tend to think of CODY as their masterpiece, but maybe it was this one all along.


PavementWesting (by musket and sextant)
I used to bag on people who said they stopped liking this band after Slanted, then invariably proceeded to reminisce about how they heard the early EPs when they first came out. I think a lot of people who might have really liked them in their heyday resented Pavement's hipster shibboleth status and never really gave the band a chance. But really, this stuff is absolutely amazing. Had I heard it before all the other stuff, would I have forever pined for the early years too? Impossible to say.

"Perfect Depth" remains my single favourite Pavement ballad, maybe favourite song overall. And "Internal K-Dart" is the best pure guitar riff Malkmus ever stumbled upon. Eat your heart out, Kurt Cobain.


PhotekModus Operandi
Holds up better than you might remember. This seemed directionless and overblown when it first came out, and was reviewed as such, but it sounds much leaner now. This guy's stuff was all deceptively minimal. He made it sound like complex "scientific d'n'b", but it's really simple stuff with just a tricky rhythmic turn here and there to keep you on your toes. Not to go all Wes Welker on you.


The Rolling Stones, Now!, Aftermath, More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies), Sticky Fingers, Metamorphosis
Yup. Readin' the Keef book.


Souls Of Mischief93 'Til Infinity

No comments: