Friday, April 4, 2008

The Grace Period – "Et In Arcadia Ego"

And the Grace Period 7" I found in the bins of Rasputin in Berkeley brings us to five singles I've acquired in the last couple months. I was looking through the G bin for an old Guided By Voices 7" when I stumbled upon this nice surprise and decided to call it a day.


Quick word about Berkeley: I'd never been there before. When I was in High school I applied to Cal and got in, but I never visited. Y'know how that's where all the student movements in the sixties started? The history of the place is really cool, but those student radicals are all still there selling incense on the sidewalks and having hare krishna parades. I think if I'd gone to Cal I would have strangled a hippie at some point. Or maybe I woulda turned into one. Yuck.


I think between this one and the one with the samples of that British mod kid I now have the complete collection of Grace Period singles. This one's got three tracks; I'm posting the two from the b-side. The forst one's downtempo with a few teasing drum'n'bass breaks thrown in as the "fills". The second is faster and has a bunch of 8-bit-sounding video game noises and is awesome. Interesting to note the title: the GP not so fond of Wednesday's post, perhaps?


Full disclosure, by the way: I know this guy. Knew him before he'd even heard Joy Division, in fact. But that's not why I'm posting this, I genuinely like his music. He's supposedly working on a new album, but apparently his desire to emulate Kevin Shields encompasses release schedules as well. ZING! Who knows, maybe he's holding out for Mr. Pibb to make it worth his while.


Buy it... on vinyl. (Scroll down; it's at the bottom on the left.)


From my deck to you: The Grace Period – "Do You Believe In Vitamins?" and "Fuck Amen"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."
-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"