Monday, April 26, 2010

Stuff I Listened To Last Week – 26 April 2010

Every time I listen to a record, I leave it next to the stereo. On Monday, before I go back to work, I re-file them all. Below are the contents of this week's pile.


With the Beatles
My dad picked this one thinking it was their first, because the cover has the same photo as the U.S.-only Meet the Beatles.


Bob DlyanDesire
Overcome by a raging desire to listen to "Hurricane", soundtrack to one of the finest uses of pop music in cinema history: the slow-motion, entering-the-pool-hall scene in Dazed and Confused. The rest of the album's OK but a little overrated, I think because it followed Blood On the Tracks, and there was still a strong residual "Dylan is back!" feeling in the air when it came out. Other killer track: "One More Cup Of Coffee".


EluviumLife Through Bombardment
Listened to almost the entire seven-LP set Saturday evening while brewing up a batch of chocolate oatmeal stout. Missed it by the last side of record seven.

Incidentally, I think the Grammys are stupid and I generally look down on anyone who complains about not winning/getting nominated for one, but in this case I took exception. How does this set not get nominated for Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package? Because they can't afford to send out a bunch of free ones, that's how. And probably because it's vinyl only. Still, highway robbery, man.


EnvyInsomniac Doze
Finally watched the Transfovista DVD in its entirety. Pretty exhausting.


IsisPanopticon
Odd though this may sound, one of my favourite records for reading a book. Can't really explain why.


M83Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts


MonoYou Are There
Mono's a frustrating act, because I like their sound, but you really don't need more than one of their albums, two tops. I have like five or so. Totally unnecessary. And yet they've got a new one out and I kind of want it. It's a triple live set with an orchestra. Hard to resist.


Willie NelsonCountry Willie


Joanna NewsomHave One On Me
Completely impenetrable. I've started listening to it a half dozen times, finished it maybe once, still can't get a handle on it. Sprawling. Absolutely the least background album I've heard in a long time. Demands attention. Demands work.


R.E.M.Up


The Rolling Stones Now!, Out Of Our Heads, December's Children (And Everybody's)
I've really been into these early Stones records lately. Remarkable hit-to-miss ratio.


Space NeedleVoyager


Zola JesusThe Spoils
She's got a new EP just out and it's mind-bendingly awesome. Go buy it and tell all your friendss that you're way more neo-goth than they are. Seriously, it's fantastic.

No comments: