Monday, May 3, 2010

Stuff I Listened To Last Week – 3 May 2010

Every time I listen to a record, I leave it next to the stereo. On Monday, before I go back to work, I re-file them all. Below are the contents of this week's pile.


Panda BearPerson Pitch


The Beatles


David BowieZiggy Stardust Original Soundtrack
For an artist as talented and creative as Bowie, it's amazing just how many shitty double live albums he managed to churn out in the 70s. This one is a recording of the show featured in D. A. Pennebaker's Ziggy Stardust concert film. Other than Mick Ronson, whose solos are pretty insane, the band really drags this one down.


Cat PowerMoon Pix
Hadn't listened to this one in a while. The one thing that really jumped out at me was how much slower the tempo in the opening number is than what I remembered.


The Best Of Freddie Hubbard, Live and In Studio
Bought this primarily for the track "Red Clay", which A Tribe Called Quest sampled on Midnight Marauders.


JesuConqueror; Opiate Sun EP
I realise it's a pretty limited formula, but this guy really doesn't have a bad track in him.


LowThe Great Destroyer
Dave Fridmann: Producer Of the Decade, 2000-2009.


Moon DuoKilling Time EP
Ordered this based on the description alone because I was already ordering the Zola Jesus EP from the same label. Good, Krauty, worth hearing.


Randy Newman12 Songs
I was watching the Kentucky Derby with my brother-in-law when Costas said that the band plays "My Old Kentucky Home" before the race every year, and I was like, "The Randy Newman song? For real?" So I pulled it out to look at the credits. Nope. Different song. Then I had it out anyway so I listened to it.


Will OldhamJoya
I'm pretty sure this is the only Will Oldham album, as in not by Palace or Bonnie Billy. Neat packaging on the vinyl version.


The Pink NoiseBirdland
Another one from the Sacred Bones haul that I ordered without ever hearing them. This one not quite as good. The willful-incompetence schtick works better if you've got the songwriting to back it up.


Primal ScreamXTRMNTR
My browther-in-law seemed pretty stoked on this one. He'd never heard it, but knew the Scream's older stuff, which brought on a conversation reminiscing about the likes of the Happy Mondays and the Farm.


Sigur Ros()


Sonic YouthRather Ripped
I was wearing a Sonic tee and my 16-year-old neice asked me who they are. I chose this one to demonstrate. Right choice? Her tastes range from Mylie (sp?) Cyrus to the High School Musical soundtrack.


Zola JesusStridulum EP
So good. So good. Last song on side one is devastating. The whole thing is good. Go buy this now.

No comments: